Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Gone with the Wind



I have loved this movie since I was a teenager and first saw it. I loved the cinematography, the dresses, the history and the love story. Its no question then that when I read the book that I would love that too. But just like with almost every book I love, they are always better than the movies that follow. Some books I read I end up loving the book and the movie as separate phenomenons, but both I hold on high levels. I believe this book is like that. I will always love the movie, I love it all the more because I read the book. However, the book is mile stones ahead of the movie because of the depth of character understanding and the details that they cannot possibly convey in a movie, no matter how long it is. They actually did a fantastic job with what they did do, but its always not enough. Its that way with The Lord of the Rings as well.

For those of you who don't know the movie or the book I will spare the details and just give some of what I thought. I was amazed at the very vivid writing of Margaret Mitchell. How she could possibly be so fluid in her explanations of everything from feelings to scenery to characters without going overboard is astounding. I have read a lot of good authors and many have this talent, but they seem to possess a genius about their writing that gives into monotony at times- Victor Hugo for example. But she makes it seem so effortless and you feel right along with the characters. You also love them and hate them because they are both good and both bad. They are selfish and selfless, childish and heroic. The emotions that exist in the book surpass those of the movie. The infamous sad ending is all the more agonizing with clearer understanding of the characters. When you see their pride and selfishness revealed, the walls go down and the sad ending that I always hated, I know cannot end any other way once you read and understand the depths of each character. It is a book that sticks with you and its also why it is a classic and personally Wuthering Heights doesn't come close to the sad feelings of this book.

In short, it is an amazing novel and is quickly climbing the charts as a favorite of mine.

6 comments:

Chalen said...

I read this book for the first time when I was 12. My 7th grade teacher actually quizzed me with questions to make sure I hadn't just watched the movie (which I had-many times). She was surprised that I could tell her so many differences. I have read it a few times since and still love it.

If you want another interesting read with Rhett Butler history, I recommend "Rhett Butler's People" by Donald McCraig. The writing style cannot compare with MM, but the story line was intriuging. I thought that he did a good job of staying true to the characters. It gives a lot more depth and understanding to Rhett. It starts with him as a young boy. I really liked finding out more about his relationship with Belle. That was one area that I didn't think was explained as well as it could have been in the MM book.

Anonymous said...

I love that movie as well.
Not go overboard? That novel is HUGE! haha I never finished it. :l

Mama Teaching 3 said...

I have to read it. I love the movie. :)

I read the Anne books 1-8 during the winter and was pretty upset that the last 2 movies in the series are complete lies.

I will put "Gone with the Wind" on my list. :)

Munford Family said...

I love Gone With The Wind! You are right, the book is better than the movie. I do love the movie though! I think she does a wonderful job with Mamie's accent. The person that wrote Scarlett had to kill Mamie off right away because she couldn't wright her accent.

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Boh kay, you're a doctor.

Sounds like a good book, I'll definitely read it!

Heather the Mama Duk said...

You know, I've never read the book OR seen the movie!