Sunday, November 23, 2008
This week is Thanksgiving. There are so many things I have to be thankful for. Especially right now with Robert's sister's cancer returning and gearing up for another round of surgery and treatments. We are praying for her, her husband and kids and feel this is such an important time to show our gratitude and remember our blessings.
1) I am thankful for my faith first of all. For the faith I have in God, the gospel of Jesus Christ and the knowledge I have that families are eternal. The hope I have in Jesus Christ and the gratitude I have for his life, example, death and atonement and resurrection. Without all of this core testimony, I don't think I would be who I am or be able to get through the trials of this life.
2) I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for Robert who is my best friend and who is solid in his support for me. My two children, Emily and Lindsey, that I am so blessed to have in my home and be their mom. My parents who raised me right and in the gospel, my mother-in-law who has taken the place of my second mom in both love and support and my father-in-law who loves us dearly. My siblings who are my best friends, my in-law siblings who have taken me in and accepted me in their family. Nieces and nephews who I think are perfect and adorable. Grandparents on both sides who have supported and loved us.
3) I am thankful for my country. I am so happy to have the Constitution in my home and that I can teach my own children and teach them to uphold it. I am grateful for the freedom of religion I enjoy. Even during the persecution that has been frequent these days, I am grateful that the laws of the land still uphold my religious freedoms and my freedom as a parent to be the educator of my children.
4) I am thankful for all things material. The things that I need and others that I don't need. That the Lord has blessed us this year to work towards buying our own home and have this be a possibility is a wonderful thing. That Robert still has a job that is able to provide for us at this time and that we have money for those rainy days. We are thankful to have been given the lessons of thrift and responsibility with our income that have helped us get to this point and we know that the principles of living within our means and avoiding debt where ever possible have helped also and we are grateful for the results of living it.
5) I am thankful for all the little things. Snowflakes, raindrops, little kid smiles and kisses, sunsets, long walks, warm baths, jobs well done, clean rooms, something on sale, little girls playing, laughing, dress up, good books, beautiful flowers, good food, clean water, happy memories, good friends, acts of service, kind people, beautiful music.
I could go on about the many things that I am thankful for, the big and the little things. There are a lot of things that make life beautiful and if God can make this life so wonderful, I know that the next life will be just as wonderful and more so. This Thanksgiving I am thankful to God for ALL, because everything I have is from Him.
Posted by Jessica at 8:13 PM