Friday, December 26, 2008

Louisa May Alcott


I finished reading this today. I started it at the beginning of December, but the work of Christmas kept me from it even though it was only 188 pages long. I finish books that are over 600 pages in 2 days so had I not been so busy it would have been done long before now. It was Louisa May Alcott's first novel and I had never read it. I found it at a thrift store and had to have it. It was well written and sweetly too. For a 17 year old she was quite the literary. She spent her days with Thoreau, Emerson and Hawthorne so it isn't any wonder that at the age of 17 she could write something like this. I used to write short stories as a teenager and let me tell you, her story possessed so much of what mine lacked. I now don't care for story writing much anymore, but I do remember the hours I spent on it. I haven't read much of Alcott's work, but one of my favorite works of literature is Little Women. I love the movies that have been made of it also, however, no actor has ever been able to really capture the characters she creates in that book. My sisters claim that her book titled An Old Fashioned Girl is another fantastic novel. I have yet to read it. Alcott is one of the authors that I have said rivals any of the "popular" ones of today. If you get a chance read this one. Or better yet, read Little Women so many books pale in comparison, even Alcott's own earlier works.

No comments: